the joy of lidl

a blog about lidl tasting

Friday, August 03, 2007

Chianti



Cortealle Mura Chianti, 2006

£2.99 (on offer)



They say:

...this typical and well-known Italian red wine, shaped by its ruby red colour, dry flavour and harmonic, full bodied and spicy bouquet is an especially good accompaniment to dark meat and game...

We say:

Lidl's best wine for under £3! Well it is when on offer, it is normally £3 something. In fact, I would go as far as to say this is the best red wine I have tasted at Lidl! I know I always give favourable reviews to their wine but this really does deserve it. It has a good nose (although hints of cork did come through at the end) and deep rich colour.

Like most Lidl wines as soon as it hits your mouth you automatically go and make a squirming face in order to express the vinegary muck you have just accepted into your mouth. I was expecting the usual reaction on account of some awful Chianti Lidl used to sell five years ago. I hadn't bought any since, but I was seduced by the reduction in price of this one. However, on drinking this Chianti the usual face reaction soon evaporated.

It is quite bold but not too aggressive and all in all a fine tipple. You would not disgrace yourself if you served this up at a dinner party. It would certainly hold its own against any other Chianti from this price range and from any other supermarket. In my opinion it would blow the others away.


Verdict: Buy. Buy it now!

3 Comments:

Blogger Smurfette said...

Ooo its not as good as the prosecco. Thats my personal favourite after the Australian Shiraz. Like you said, the sharp vinegar for the first few sips and then its fooking lovely :p

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from Portugal and your blog is so funny!!! Thanks a lot!

2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More posts!

8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home