the joy of lidl

a blog about lidl tasting

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Niçoise Salad


Run, run to the hills and never look back. This is vile. It looks bad, it smells worse. It tastes like sick.

I had high hopes for this, 99p for a salad in a tin sounds good (actually maybe not). Basically it consists of tuna, bits of bean, carrot, red pepper and potato. All well known components of salad niçoise....

It has a ring pull which is handy, but that's where the good points start and stop. This truly is a work of lidl greatness. When non lidlers think of lidl this is the kind of stuff they must imagine.

When I opened the tin his foul stench engulfed the office instantly. It was the smell of vomit, and the sight I saw looked like vomit. This was not a good start.



The tuna had settled on the bottom (the end you open) and so I was presented with this grey mass, surly there is more to this than that! Lesley suggested I emptied it out onto a plate. When I did this all the vegetables came out and the true squalor was there to behold.



I tasted it much to Lesley's surprise "I wouldn't put anything that smells like that near my mouth" (future boyfriends take note). Anyway, I dived in and tasted a bean. It was very soft. It had no taste. It must have been boiled to death before it entered the tin. So there goes any potential health benefits.

Then i tried a bit of everything. Vile. Vomit. Yuck.

It just taste of bad soup. The juices of the vegetables make it a vegetable soup with tuna thrown in. The tuna looks dodgy, almost grey in colour and has no taste what so ever.

I would describe this as a soup, not a salad.

Lesley says it tastes of vinegar. I wish. I like vinegar. It tastes and smells familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Bad vegetable soup I guess.

Verdict: avoid for health reasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home